Thursday 14 March 2013

Nail Foils - The Cost Effective Way! Tutorial and Review

 
So I was liking the Nail Foils that are doing the rounds at the moment and Ciates little kit costing around the £18 mark per kit wasn't too bad I thought but after a little research I managed to do it for less than half AND have enough stuff to last a lifetime!!
 
The Ciate kit contains 30 assorted foil sheets , a foil fix glue, a paint pot polish and nail wheel for practicing. They have different kits with different colour choices.
 
 Kudos on the nail wheel there, always a good idea to have a practice run...!

 
I bought 5 nail foils (1.5m per foil) in a variety of colours from eBay, (of which there are THOUSANDS to pick from I swear) they come in handy tubs all wrapped up, nail foil glue, nail wheels (I already had these though) for a minuscule £9+postage.
 
 
 
Practising on my wheels I found the look very easy to recreate.
 
Simply apply a base coat of polish of your choice - I went with China Glaze in Flying Dragon and Turned Up Turquoise and Ciate Power Dressing which is a navy blue to try with the different coloured foils.
 
Cut the foils to the right size so you don't get in a tizz, this would be about the size of your nail I'd say, makes it all a lot more manageable
 
When the polish is dry, apply the nail foil glue as you want. You could go all over, or dab it in spots - whatever tickles your fancy!
now wait....
and wait
and be patient and wait a bit more.
 
The glue needs to have gone clear and tacky at least or you'll be wasting your time.
 
Apply the foil, shiny side up in this case (yes I did try the wrong way for a while...) and smooth down with a finger.
Pull off the paper et VOILA!
 
You can add more to get the desired effect you like, change up with different colours and just have fun with it. When your happy, apply a top coat to seal the deal.

 
I went with gold foil over the purple, rose pink over the green and a silver/rippled colour over the navy.
 
Who needs OPI MWTGG when you have that gold ey!!!
I'm pretty happy, and it was a lot easier than those bloody caviar beads!
 
I think I'll try an all over foil next time....
 
What do you think??  Do you even like the foiled looks??
 

1 comment: